BU student newspaper fundraises out of debt 

by Christina Jedra / Beacon Staff • November 13, 2014

The Daily Free Press, Boston University’s independent student-run newspaper, was recently in jeopardy of having its print edition fold after its printer gave the organization an end-of-year deadline to pay off its debt of nearly $70,000. 

The staff started an online fundraising campaign on Nov. 6, and with dozens of donations — including a $10,000 pledge from Fox host Bill O’Reilly and $50,000 promised from local car dealer Ernie Boch Jr. — the Free Press has met its goal and beyond, according to a press release.

The campaign offers various incentives for different levels of donation, from an in-office shoutout for a $5 contribution to a personal visit, dinner, and a cappella performance from the staff for a $10,000 donation. The fundraiser’s webpage indicates that Bill O’Reilly should be expecting a visit. Editor-in-chief Kyle Plantz told the Boston Globe that O’Reilly worked at the Free Press while at BU.

“The support from the Boston community, FreeP alums, and the greater sphere of journalists all over has been overwhelmingly encouraging,” the press release states.

According to the press release, the staff will close the online campaign soon and will decide what to do with the surplus of donations.